Online Dating Safety Advice Tips
Online dating can be a safer experience than traditional dating. It gives you a wider scope of choice and you can remain at a distance until you are ready to meet.
If you’ve never tried it before or if you are worried by any stories you may have heard, here are a few tips to get you dating online safely:
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, why take a chance. Disengage gracefully, if this does not work, just disengage.
- Keep it real. Be as honest as you can when creating your profile, you would not want to be misled so don’t mislead anyone. It’s also very hard to pretend you are 6’2″ when you are really 5’6″!
- Post a photo, but make sure you cannot identify your family, friends, home or car in it.
- Keep in control. Don’t give up any personal information too soon or post personal information without knowing exactly who you are giving it to.
- Protect your identity. Use a site like ours that hides your email address and your contact information.
- Avoid any talk of finances too readily. There is no reason why you should ever disclose any financial information online.
- Don’t be lured by requests for financial help, if someone asks you for money even if you have built up a trusting rapport with them, they are almost certainly a scammer.
- Don’t be pressured into giving any information or pictures that you don’t want to and especially into meeting before you are ready.
- If you’re unsure, ask for a recent photo of who you are talking to.
- Think about what you write in your profile and when chatting. Does it convey the right tone and intention?
- Be wary of anyone who declares their undying love for you, especially if you have never met them.
- When you are ready to meet, check out our in-person dating safety advice below